Monday, November 15, 2010

A Quilt for Addianna

In May, my nephew and his wife had a lovely little baby girl named Addianna. If my sister Anna were still living, this little girl would be her first grandchild.

I wanted to make something special for her. I didn't start the quilt until Addi was a few weeks old, and she's just received it - at around her six-month birthday. I'm sad that it's so late in arriving, but I really enjoyed making it. I think she'll still be able to make use of it.

It's my first real quilt. I've made a few pieced tops that I stitched onto store-bought comforters. This is the first time I designed, pieced, filled, quilted and finished a quilt - although I did it all on a sewing machine - not by hand. I used my mother's 1951 Singer Electric Sewing Machine, Class 15-91.

I have a baby quilt that my grandmother sewed by hand, while she was expecting my mother, her first child. It's yellow and lavender - gender neutral colors - because back then there was no way to know the sex of your baby until her arrival.

I chose fabric patterns and colors I thought a little girl might enjoy. I hope Addi will get lots of use out of this thing.

And here she is, my great-niece and her great-grandma, who just happens to be my mother. (Photo from Addi's mom Caty's Facebook photos.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this. it came at just the right moment for me.

Green Key said...

Hi Shopgirl! So glad the timing was right . . . :-)

Cambree said...

That is such a lovely quilt for such a cute little girl. I love her name too!